Your very best friend here is attaching &debug=query to the URL and
looking at the parsed query results. Upon occasion there's some

One possible explanation is that description field has something like
"fatty acid-binding some words protein" in which case your query
"fatty acid-binding protein" would fail, but "fatty acid-binding
protein"~4 would succeed.

The other possibility is that your query parsing isn't quite doing
what you think, but adding &debug=query should help there.

Best,
Erick