I currently have an algorithm that needs to know whether query results are
fresh up to a known point in time, and I'm using an explicit soft commit
request to act as a latch point. I record the time T just before I issue a
soft commit request, and when it returns, I assume that query results
include all documents indexed prior to T. (Note that I record T *prior* to
issuing the soft commit request, to avoid the obvious race.)

Is that sound? Is it reliably true that once a soft commit request returns,
any subsequent queries will hit a new (and autowarmed) searcher? I'm
specifically wondering whether Solr might continue to autowarm a new
pending searcher in the background after claiming to finish the soft commit
and then at some unknown point later switch to the newer searcher, such
that queries can hit a stale searcher accidentally.

Hope that question makes sense. Any help, pointers to code, whatever, would
be greatly appreciated!

- Bruce