Hello,

I've attempted to figure this out from reading the documentation but
without much luck.  I looked for a comprehensive query syntax specification
(e.g., with BNF and a list of operator semantics) but I'm unable to find
such a document (does such a thing exist? or is the syntax too much of a
moving target?)

I'm using 4.6.1, if that makes a difference, though upgrading is an option
if it necessary to make this work.

I've got a multiValued field "color", which describes the colors of item in
the database.  Items can have zero or more colors.  What I want is to be
able to filter out all hits that contain colors not within a constraining
list, i.e., something like

NOT (color NOT IN ("red","yellow","green")).

So the following would be passed by the filter:
(no value for 'color')
color: red
color: red, color: green

whereas these would be excluded:
color: red, color: blue
color: magenta

Nothing I've come up with so far, e.g. -(-color: "red" -color: "green"),
seems to work.

I've also looked into using a function query but it seems to lack operators
for dealing with string multivalued fields.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Bill