Hmm.  If I understand correctly this builds a set out of open intervals
(exclusive ranges), that's a great idea!

It doesn't seem to work for me, though;  fq=-color:({* TO red} {red TO *})
is giving me results with color="burnt sienna"

The field is defined as <field name="color" type="string" indexed="true"
stored="true" multiValued="true" />