Hi - check the def() and if() functions, they can have embedded functions such
as exists() and query(). You can use those to apply the main query the the
productline field if author has some value. I cannot give a concrete example
because i don't have an environment to fiddle around with. If the main query
has parameter qq, you can use parameter substitution by using $qq in the
function queries. Please check the wiki and cwiki docs on edismax and function
queries for examples and references.

Markus