Could you elaborate more on what you're trying to do?   You've defined a new
request handler?   You can use any template you want with the Velocity writer -
v.template=template_name

As for DIH - it can do a lot, database, XML, email, another Solr, etc.

What kind of "import" are you trying to accomplish?

   Erik