From: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerick...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2014 4:31 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: CopyField from text to multi value

Not quite sure what you're asking here. If you do a copyField, the raw input
is, well, copied to the destination field and _then_ the analysis chain is
applied. Which seems to be what you want, the destination field would be a
text-based field, perhaps text_general or some such from the distro.

And perhaps there;s some confusion about what multiValued means here. It does
_not_ mean "tokenized", i.e. broken up into words. non-multiValued fields can
be tokenized.

multiValued means tha tmore than one entry for the field can be in a doc.
I.e. (using the XML form of an input doc as an example)

<add>
  <doc>
      <field name="multi">some text</field>
      <field name="multi">and now for something completely different</field>
</doc> </add>

will succeed with a field defined as multiValued="true", but fail with
something with multiValued="false".

In either case, though, whether the input was broken up into multiple,
independently-searchable tokens (words) is orthogonal to whether it's
multiValued or not, and is entirely dependent on the analysis chain in the
<fieldType> for the field in question.

Best,
Erick