I have made some small patch to the application to make this problem less
visible, and I'm trying to perform the optimize once per hour, yesterday it
took 5 minutes to perform it, this morning 15 minutes. Today I will collect
some statistics but the publication process sends documents every 5
minutes, and I think the optimize is taking too much time.

I have no default mergeFactor configured for this collection, do you think
that setting it to a small value could improve the situation? If I have
understood well having to merge segments will keep similar stats on all
nodes. It's ok to have the indexing process a little bit slower.