I always, always have a web application running that accepts the JavaScript
AJAX call and then forwards it on to the Apache Solr request handler.  Even
if you don't control the web application, and can only add JavaScript, you
can put up a API oriented webapp somewhere that only protects Solr for a
couple of posts.  Then, you can use CORS or JSONP to facilitate interaction
between the main web application and the ancillary webapp providing APIs
for Solr integration.

Of course, this only applies if you don't control the primary
application.   If you can use a Drupal or Typo3 to front-end Solr, than
this is a great way to solve the problem.