I have three equal machines each running solr cloud (4.8). I have multiple
collections that are replicated but not sharded. I also have document
generation processes running on these nodes which involves querying the
collection ~5 times per document generated.

Node 1 has a replica of collection A and is running document generation code
that pushes to the HTTP /update/json hander.
Node 2 is the leader of collection A.
Node 3 does not have a replica of node A, but is running document generation
code for collection A.

The issue I see is that node 1 can push documents into Solr 3-5 times faster
than node 3 when they both talk to the solr instance on their localhost. If
either of them talk directly to the solr instance on node 2, the performance is
excellent (on par with node 1). To me it seems that the only difference in
these cases is the query/put request forwarding. Does this involve some slow
zookeeper communication that should be avoided? Any other insights?

Thanks