From: Grollier, Francois: IT (PRG)
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 6:19 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: recovery process - node with stale data elected leader

Hi,

I'm running solrCloud 4.6.0 and I have a question/issue regarding the recovery
process.

My cluster is made of 2 shards with 2 replicas each. Nodes A1 and B1 are
leaders, A2 and B2 followers.

I start indexing docs and kill A2. I keep indexing for a while and then kill
A1. At this point, the cluster stops serving queries as one shard is completely
unavailable.
Then I restart A2 first, then A1. A2 gets elected leader, waits a bit for more
replicas to be up and once it sees A1 it starts the recovery process.
My understanding of the recovery process was that at this point A2 would notice
that A1 has a more up to date state and it would sync with A1. It seems to
happen like this but then I get:

INFO  - 2014-11-04 11:50:43.068; org.apache.solr.cloud.RecoveryStrategy;
Attempting to PeerSync from http://a1:8111/solr/executions/ core=executions -
recoveringAfterStartup=false INFO  - 2014-11-04 11:50:43.069;
org.apache.solr.update.PeerSync; PeerSync: core=executions
url=http://a2:8211/solr START replicas=[http://a1:8111/solr/executions/]
nUpdates=100 INFO  - 2014-11-04 11:50:43.076; org.apache.solr.update.PeerSync;
PeerSync: core=executions url=http://a2:8211/solr  Received 98 versions from
a1:8111/solr/executions/ INFO  - 2014-11-04 11:50:43.076;
org.apache.solr.update.PeerSync; PeerSync: core=executions
url=http://a2:8211/solr  Our versions are newer.
ourLowThreshold=1483859630192852992 otherHigh=1483859633446584320 INFO  -
2014-11-04 11:50:43.077; org.apache.solr.update.PeerSync; PeerSync:
core=executions url=http://a2:8211/solr DONE. sync succeeded

And I end up with a different set of documents in each node (actually A1 has
all the documents but A2 misses some).

Is my understanding wrong and is it a completely nonsense to start A2 before A1?

If my understanding right, what could cause the desync? (I can provide more
logs) And is there a way to force A2 to index the missing documents? I have try
the FORCERECOVERY command but it generates the same result as shown above.

Thanks
francois

This message is for information purposes only, it is not a recommendation,
advice, offer or solicitation to buy or sell a product or service nor an
official confirmation of any transaction. It is directed at persons who are
professionals and is not intended for retail customer use. Intended for
recipient only. This message is subject to the terms at:
www.barclays.com/emaildisclaimer.

For important disclosures, please see:
www.barclays.com/salesandtradingdisclaimer regarding market commentary from
Barclays Sales and/or Trading, who are active market participants; and in
respect of Barclays Research, including disclosures relating to specific
issuers, please see http://publicresearch.barclays.com.