I understood the query now.
Atomic Update and Optimistic Concurrency are independent in Solr version >
5.
Not sure about version 4.2, if they are combined in this version a
_version_ field is needed to pass in every update. The atomic/partial
update will succeed if version in the request and indexed doc matches
otherwise response will have HTTP error code 409.

You can try by passing the _version_ of indexed doc during update.

It's also good to add a unit test in Solr for partial update which
currently I see missing.