Hi Toke,
Thanks for your input.

I guess you mean take the 1k or so values and build a boolean query from
them?
If that's not what you mean, my apologies..
I'd thought of doing that - the trouble I had was
the unique values could be 20k, or 15,167 or any arbirary and potentially
high-ish number - it's not really known and can/will change over time. I
believe a boolean query with more than 1024 ops can blow up the query, so
scalability is a concern.
The other issue is how this would yield the unique facet values -
e.g. dest=8.8.8.8 (17) [i.e. 8.8.8.8 is in the 'addr' list and occurs 17
times in entries with a 'dest' field] - in fact, I need the uniques
value(s) ('8.8.8.8') more than I need the count ('17')

I could get the facet list of 'dest' values, then trawl through each one,
but this will be a complicated and time-consuming client-side operation.
I'm also looking at creating a custom QueryParser that would build the
relevant DocLists, then intersect them and return the values, but I
wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel if possible, given that facets already
build unique term lists, seems so close - I guess it's like taking two
facet lists (1 for addr, 1 for dest), intersecting them and returning the
result:

List 1:

List 2:

Resultant intersection: