yes, have triple checked the schema and solrconfig XML; various tools have
indicated the XML is valid

no missing types or dupes, and have not disabled the admin handler

as mentioned in my most recent response, I can see the coreX core (the
renamed and unmodified collection1 core from the downloaded package) and
query it with no issues, but coreA (whch has our specific schema and
solrconfig changes) is not showing in the admin interface and cannot be
queried (I get a 404)

both cores are located in the same solr folder.

appreciate the suggestions; looks like I will need to gradually move my
schema and core changes towards the collection1 content and see where things
start working; will take a while...sigh

will let you know what I find out.