I added distribUpdateConnTimeout and distribUpdateSoTimeout to solr.xml and
the commit did timeout.(btw, is there any way to view solr.xml in the admin
console?).

Also, although we do have an init.d start/stop script for Solr, the 'stop'
command was not executed during shutdown because there was no lock file for
the script in '/var/lock/subsys'. I didn't know about this until I google'd
around and found '
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/008jun05/departments/tips_tricks'. When I
added the lock file, both the AWS 'stop' and 'terminate' actions did result
in an orderly shutdown of the replica which caused the Solr-leader to get
an exception and update the live_nodes, gracefully.

So now, the timeouts should only play a backup role.

Thanks for the help,
Peter