Thanks a lot Otis,

While reading the SolrCloud documentation to understand how SolrCloud
could run on HDFS, I got confused with leader, replica, "non-replica"
shards, core, index, and collections.
Once it is specified that one cannot add shards, then that one can add
replica-only shards, then that last "Shard Splitting" paragraph states
that something changed starting with Solr 4.3.
But it doesn't states that splitting shards can end in a new non-replica
shard, in a just added node, thus increasing the amount of storage
available to the index / collection. It states that "split action
effectively makes two copies of the data as new shards" instead, which
tastes a lot like replica style shards.
So does it?
Could there be some sort of tutorial describing how to add available
storage capacity for index / collection, thus adding a node / shard - core
that one can send new documents to be indexed? (of course, load-balancing
would be trigered, so it looks like documents would be added to shards out
of a set of nodes).
Thanks,

Charles VALLEE
Centre de compétence Big data
EDF – DSP - CSP IT-O
DATACENTER - Expertise en Energie Informatique (EEI)
32 avenue Pablo Picasso
92000 Nanterre

charles.val...@edf.fr
Tél. : + (0) 1 78 66 69 81

Un geste simple pour l'environnement, n'imprimez ce message que si vous en
avez l'utilité.