Andrew Butkus [andrew.but...@c6-intelligence.com] wrote:

[Shawn/Jack: Ideal amount of RAM]

> Have less than this :/ :( - with not much likelihood to upgrade anytime soon

The right amount of RAM is what satisfies your requirements and is tightly
correlated to the speed of your underlying storage. We have yet to build a
machine with anywhere near the same amount of RAM as index size, and do have
requirements of hundreds of searches/second on two of them.

> - just out of curiosity, if the performance is proportional to the RAM, why
> am I seeing such good query times for the initial shard queries? (they are
> all under 100ms).

That is the real mystery here and does not seem to be related to overall
performance. Guessing wildly: Maybe the last reported time is the total time
spend?

As your test works when you specify the same shard over and over again, perhaps
you could specify the same shard A 30 times, followed by shard B 1 time and see
if shard B reports a QTime of 100ms or 50,000ms?

- Toke Eskildsen