Here are more details about our setup:

Zookeeper:
* 3 separate hosts in same rack as Solr cluster
* Zookeeper hosts do not run any other processes

Solr:
* total servers: 24 (plus 2 cold standbys in case of host failure)
* physical memory: 65931872 kB (62 GB)
* max JVM heap size: -Xmx10880m ( 10 GB)
* only one Solr per host

On the Œindex¹ directory size front, I am seeing some differences in the
disk usage between leaders and replicas.

In 1 / 12 shards, there is no difference in size between the leader and
replica.

In 6 / 12 shards, there 1 1 G difference in size between the leader and
replica. Both have one index directory.

In 5 / 12 shards, the replica is a multiple of the leader size, due to
multiple index directories on disk.

For example, shard 1 leader has a directory named
'index.20140624071707699¹ 30 G in size. The replica has two directories:
'index.20150108052156468¹ at 31G and Œindex.20140624071556270¹ at 32G.

Thanks,

Lindsay