Maybe I can use grouping, but my understanding of the feature is not up to
figuring that out :)

I tried something like

http://localhost:8983/solr/collection/select?q=childhood+cancer&group=on&group.query=childhood+cancer
Because the group.limit=1, I get a single result, and no other results.
If I add group.field=title, then I get each result, in a group of 1
member...

Eric's re-ranking I do understand - I can re-rank the top-N to make sure
the spotlighted result is always first, avoiding the potential problem of
having to overweight the title field.    In practice, I may not ever need
to use the reranking, but its there if I need it.    This is enough,
because it gives me talking points.