Von: Shawn Heisey [mailto:apa...@elyograg.org]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 29. Januar 2015 18:10
An: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Betreff: Re: AW: CoreContainer#createAndLoad, existing cores not loaded

On 1/29/2015 12:13 AM, Clemens Wyss DEV wrote:
> BTW:
> None of my core folders contains a core.properties file ... ? Could it be due
> to the fact that I am (so far) running only EmbeddedSolrServer, hence no real
> Solr-Server?

I'm not sure how it's working without core.properties files, unless your
solr.xml file has a <cores> element and the cores are defined there.
The old-style solr.xml file works in 4.10.3.

The minimum config you need in a core.properties file is nothing at all
-- it just needs to exist.  The name of the core defaults to the name of the
directory where it is found, and the dataDir defaults to "data"
relative to the directory where the core.properties was found.  I myself only
have "name" and "dataDir" defined in my core.properties files, because I need
both to be different from the default.

[root@bigindy5 cores]# cat s0_0/core.properties #Written by
CorePropertiesLocator #Mon Jan 26 23:38:42 MST 2015 name=s0build
dataDir=../../data/s0_0

[root@bigindy5 cores]# cat s0_1/core.properties #Written by
CorePropertiesLocator #Mon Jan 26 23:38:42 MST 2015 name=s0live
dataDir=../../data/s0_1

To answer your other question about whether you should go with 5.0 ...
that depends on how close you are to your production deployment and how willing
you are to deal with bleeding edge software.  The first release of a new major
version is always a risky proposition ... I plan to wait for the 5.2 or 5.3
release before rolling it into production, and waiting long enough after the
release to make sure that no big problems are reported by users.  Minor
Lucene/Solr releases happen on a very quick timeline, so I won't have to wait
very long.

The following info is available on the dev list, so I'm not giving away any
secrets when I tell you that the first release candidate for 5.0 has failed to
pass the vote.  There will be a new one soon that includes some additional
bugfixes.  If all goes well with that candidate, there should be a release
announcement within a week of the new RC being cut.

Thanks,
Shawn