From: Shamik Bandopadhyay [mailto:sham...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 6:02 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Does DocValues improve Grouping performance ?

Hi,

   Does use of DocValues provide any performance improvement for Grouping ?
I' looked into the blog which mentions improving Grouping performance through
DocValues.

https://lucidworks.com/blog/fun-with-docvalues-in-solr-4-2/

Right now, Group by queries (which I can't sadly avoid) has become a huge
bottleneck. It has an overhead of 60-70% compared to the same query san group
by. Unfortunately, I'm not able to be CollapsingQParserPlugin as it doesn't
have a support similar to "group.facet" feature.

My understanding on DocValues is that it's intended for faceting and sorting.
Just wondering if anyone have tried DocValues for Grouping and saw any
improvements ?

-Thanks,
Shamik