Thanks otis and shalin.. didn't really think to do that. And that SOLR-527 sounds nice. For now we turned back on update but renamed it to update-ro so we don't add stuff to the slaves by accident :) and we changed the bin/commit script to hit update-ro. The slaves are already under an outsourced API proxy service that can't get hit w/o a key, this was just for our own protection.

On May 8, 2008, at 2:13 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar wrote:
Here is that comment -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-527?focusedCommentId=12591678 #action_12591678

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 11:21 PM, Otis Gospodnetic <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

A few weeks ago one person mentioned another way of making servers
read-only via file permissions. You may want to consider that instead of
disabling /update.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Brian Whitman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, May 7, 2008 11:25:22 AM
Subject: force rsync update on a read-only index

We have a few slave solr servers that are just hardlinked-rsynced
copies of a master server.

When we do the rsync the changes don't show up immediately. The snap*
scripts call a commit on the slave servers -- but since these are
readonly servers we've disabled /update in the solrconfig.xml

Without restarting the servlet container, how can we force changes to
be visible on readonly solr instances?

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.