Great!  Thank you!

I had a 4 shard setup - no replicas. Index size was 2.0TBytes stored in HDFS with each node having approximately 500G of index. I added four more shards on four other machines as replicas. One thing that happened was the 4 replicas all ran out of HDFS cache size (SnapPull failed: java.lang.RuntimeException: The max direct memory is likely too low. Either increase it (by adding - XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=<size>g -XX:+UseLargePages to your containers startup args) or disable direct allocation using solr.hdfs.blockcache.direct.memory.allocation=false in solrconfig.xml. If you are putting the block cache on the heap, your java heap size might not be large enough. Failed allocating)

I was using 160 slabs (20GBytes iof RAM). I dropped the config to 80 slabs and restarted the replicas. Two of the replicas came up OK, but the other 2 have stayed in 'Recovering'. I stopped those two and restarted them - now I have 3 OK, but one is still in Recovering.

Given that each replica does indexing as well, I was expecting the amount of HDFS disk usage to double, but that has not happened. Once I get the last replica to come up, I'll run some tests.

-Joe