I currently have a SolrCloud with 3 shards + replicas, it is holding 130M
documents and the r3.large hosts are running out of memory. As it's on 4.2
there is no shard splitting, I will have to reindex to a 4.3+ version.

If I had that feature would I need to split each shard into 2 subshards
resulting in a total of 6 subshards, in order to keep all shards relatively
equal?

And since host memory is the problem I'd be migrating subshards to new
hosts. So it seems I'd be going from 6 hosts to 12.  Are these assumptions
correct or is there a way to avoid doubling my host count?