You haven't stated it explicitly, but I think you're running SolrCloud, right?

In which case... the configs are all stored in ZooKeeper, and you don't
edit them there. The startup scripts automate the "upconfig" step that
pushes your configs to Zookeeper. Thereafter, they are read from
Zookeeper by the Solr node on startup from ZK, but not stored locally
on each node. Otherwise, keeping all the nodes coordinated would be
difficult.

You can see the uploaded configs in the Solr admin UI/Cloud/tree/configs
area.

So you keep your configs somewhere (some kind of VCS is recommended)
and, when you make changes to them, push the results to ZK and either
restart or reload your collection.

Did you see the documentation at:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Using+ZooKeeper+to+Manage+Configuration+Files?

And assuming I'm right and you're using SolrCloud, I _strongly_ suggest you
try to think in terms of replicas rather than cores. In particular
avoid using the
old, familiar admin core API and instead use the collections api (see
the ref guide).
You can do pretty much anything with the collections api you used to
do with the core admin,
and at the same time have a lot less chance to get something wrong.
The collections
api makes use of the individual core admin API calls to carry out the
instructed tasks as
necessary.

All that said, "the new way of doing things" is a bit of a shock to
the system if you're an
old Solr hand, especially in SolrCloud.

Best,
Erick