Short form:
While testing Solr 5.0.0 within our staging environment, I noticed that
highlight enabled queries are much slower than I saw with 4.10. Are there any
obvious reasons why this might be the case? As far as I can tell, nothing has
changed with the default highlight search component or its parameters.

A little more detail:
The bulk of the collection config set was stolen from the basic 4.X example
config set. I changed my schema.xml and solrconfig.xml just enough to get 5.0
to create a new collection (removed non-trie fields, some other deprecated
response handler definitions, etc). I can provide my version of the
solr.HighlightComponent config, but it is identical to the
sample_techproducts_configs example in 5.0.  Are there any other config files I
could provide that might be useful?

Number on “much slower”:
I indexed a very small subset of my data into the new collection and used the
/select interface to do a simple debug query. Solr 4.10 gives the following
pertinent info:
"response": {
    "numFound": 72628,
"debug": {