I would, BTW, either just get rid of the <maxBufferedDocs> all together or
make it much higher, i.e. 100000. I don't think this is really your
problem, but you're creating a lot of segments here.

But I'm kind of at a loss as to what would be different about your setup.
Is there _any_ chance that you have some secondary process looking at
your index that's maintaining open searchers? Any custom code that's
perhaps failing to close searchers? Is this a Unix or Windows system?

And just to be really clear, you _only_ seeing more segments being
added, right? If you're only counting files in the index directory, it's
_possible_ that merging is happening, you're just seeing new files take
the place of old ones.

Best,
Erick