I've tried a few variations, with 3 x ZK, 6 X nodes, solr 4.10.3, solr 5.0
without any success and no real difference. There is a tipping point at
around 3,000-4,000 cores (varies depending on hardware) from where I can
restart the cloud OK within ~4min, to the cloud not working and
continuous 'conflicting
information about the leader of shard' warnings.

--
Damien Kamerman