By and large, I really never use linking. But it's about associating a
config set
you've _already_ uploaded with a collection.

So uploading is pushing the configset from your local machine up to Zookeeper,
and linking is using that uploaded, named configuration with an
arbitrary collection.

But usually you just make this association when creating the collection.

It's simple to test all this out, just upconfig a couple of config
sets, play with the linking
and reload the collections. From there the admin UI will show you what actually
happened.

Best,
Erick