Hello - Chris' suggestion is indeed a good one but it can be tricky to properly
configure the parameters. Regarding position information, you can override
dismax to have it use SpanFirstQuery. It allows for setting strict boundaries
from the front of the document to a given position. You can also override
SpanFirstQuery to incorporate a gradient, to decrease boosting as distance from
the front increases.

I don't know how you ingest document bodies, but if they are unstructured HTML,
you may want to install proper main content extraction if you haven't already.
Having decent control over HTML is a powerful tool.

You may also want to look at Lucene's BM25 implementation. It is simple to set
up and easier to control. It isn't as rough a tool as TFIDF is regarding to
length normalization. Plus it allows you to smooth TF, which in your case
should also help.

If you like to scrutinize SSS and get some proper results, you are more than
welcome to share them here :)

Markus