Hmmm, not OOB. You could index two tdate fields though and in the
second one only index seconds into the day and index the other with
date math (i.e. /DAY) to normalize them. Or a tdate field with just a
long field for the seconds.

You could then use the range faceting to, say, put the docs into hour
buckets, and your time:[17:00 TO 18:00] would turn into something like
time:[61200 TO 64800]. A bit awkward I'll admit, but probably easier
than a custom field type. Or add a field for hours if that fits the
use-case.

FWIW,
Erick