Ashwin:

First, if at all possible I would simply set up my new SolrCloud
structure (2 shards, a leader and follower each) and re-index the
entire corpus. 24M docs isn't really very many, and you'll have to
have this capability sometime since somone, somewhere will want to
change the schema in ways that require it.

But to answer your questions:
1: Certainly. There's the SPLITSHARD command, see:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Collections+API. That
said, Solr 4.4 used a relatively early version of SPLITSHARD and there
have been many improvements so make sure and back up first.

2: Not quite sure how long it takes, but I wouldn't expect it to take
hours. A lot depends on what the docs are like.

3: Yes, sending a query (or update for that matter) to any node in the
cluster will "do the right thing". In a production environment, and
assuming you're not using SolrJ, I'd put a load balancer in front of
the cluster for queries. If you _are_ querying through SolrJ from the
application, you only need to use the CloudSolrServer class as it
includes a software load balancer by default. Otherwise, if you
hard-code a single machine that machine becomes a single point of
failure.

Best,
Erick