Data Import Handler is a process in Solr that reaches out, grabs
"something external" and indexes it. "Something external" can be a
database, files on the server etc. Along the way, you can do many
transformations of the data. The point is that the source can be
anything.

The update handler is an end-point in Solr that expects certain
specific formats and puts them in the index. For instance, if you
index XML, it _must_ be in a very specific form to throw at the update
handler, something like
<add>
   <doc>
     <field...>
     <field...>
   </doc>
   <doc>
     <field...>
     <field...>
   </doc>
</add>

The csv update handler is just an update handler that expects CSV
files. The headers are usually the field names although you can map
them from the column header in your csv file to your Solr schema.

In importing csv files should be very fast. I suspect your regex is costly.

As Alexandre says, though, it would be a good idea to go through the
CSV import tutorial. The Solr reference guide has the details:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Uploading+Data+with+Index+Handlers#UploadingDatawithIndexHandlers-CSVFormattedIndexUpdates

Best,
Erick