I apologize - Yonik prepared these nice release notes for 5.1 and I
neglected to include them:

Solr 5.1 Release Highlights:

 * The new Facet Module, including the JSON Facet API.
   This module is currently marked as experimental to allow for
further API feedback and improvements.

 * A new JSON request API.
   This feature is currently marked as experimental to allow for
further API feedback and improvements.

 * The ability to upload and download Solr configurations via SolrJ
(CloudSolrClient).

 * First-class support for Real-Time Get in SolrJ.

 * Spatial 2D heat-map faceting.

 * EnumField now has docValues support.

 * API to dynamically add Jars to Solr's classpath for plugins.

 * Ability to enable/disable individual stats in the StatsComponent.

 * lucene/solr query syntax to give any query clause a constant score.

 * Schema API enhancements to remove or replace fields, dynamic
fields, field types and copy fields.

 * When posting XML or JSON to Solr with curl, there is no need to
specify the content type.

 * A list of update processors to be used for an update can be
specified dynamically for any given request.

 * StatsComponent now supports Percentiles.

 * facet.contains option to limit which constraints are returned.

 * Streaming Aggregation for SolrCloud.

 * The admin UI now visualizes Lucene segment information.

 * Parameter substitution / macro expansion across entire request