I asked a very similar question recently. You should switch to using the
package as is and forget that it contains a .war. The war is now an
internal component. Also switch to the new script for startup etc.

I have seen several disappointed users that disagree with this decision but
I assume the project now has more freedom in the future and also more
alignment and focus on one experience.

I did my own thing with NSSM because we use windows and I am satisfied.