Handling MESH descriptor preferred terms and such is similar.   I encountered
this during evaluation of Solr for a project here at NLM.   We decided to use
Solr for different projects instead.     I considered the following approaches:
 - use a custom tokenizer at index time that indexed all of the multiple term
alternatives.
 - index the data, and then have an enrichment process that queries on each
source synonym, and generates an update to add the target synonyms.
   Follow this with an optimize.
 - During the indexing process, but before sending the data to Solr, process
the data to tokenize and add synonyms to another field.

Both the custom tokenizer and enrichment process share the feature that they
use Solr's own tokenizer rather than duplicate it.   The enrichment process
seems to me only workable in environments where you can re-index all data
periodically, so no continuous stream of data to index that needs to be handled
relatively quickly once it is generated.    The last method of pre-processing
the data seems the least desirable to me from a blue-sky perspective, but is
probably the easiest to implement and the most independent of Solr.

Hope this helps,

Dan Davis, Systems/Applications Architect (Contractor),
Office of Computer and Communications Systems,
National Library of Medicine, NIH