Often, for small numbers of distinct types people use grouping and
have the app layer mingle them or whatever is pleasing. I think this
is different than post-processing you mention. Grouping (aka "field
collapsing") can be expensive if there are a large number of groups
but for small numbers it's not bad.

The general problem is rather "interesting" in that just relaxing the
score doesn't really handle massively different kinds of documents,
think of "songs", "albums", and "reviews in rolling stone". You'd
probably see a bazillion song entries before the first review
entry....

Best,
Erick