Perhaps belated and IANA Solr expert, but take a look at mergeFactor and
ramBufferSizeMB. I've had a situation where after Solr upgrade old values
were kept. Those are used for buffering during indexing AFAIR. If buffer
size is exceeded, merge happens. If merge factor is exceeded, coalesced
segments are (AFAIR) written to IO, thus you might see high CPU.

pozdrawiam,
LAFK