Facets! I believe Google Search Appliance does not support facets. Which
means it supports search, but not post-search results tuning. In general,
custom metadata was problematic with GSA

Cost. I know at least one - very large, international, company moving to
Solr from Google Search Appliance due to the cost. Especially the cost of
indexing multiple distributed large collections. Can't name them publicly,
but if you desperate, contact me in private.

However, I would probably recommend they move (or at least evaluate)
LucidWork's Fusion rather than Solr pure. They may actually find additional
commercial features worth their (expensive, often slow, corporate) time.

Regards,
   Alex.

----
Solr Analyzers, Tokenizers, Filters, URPs and even a newsletter:
http://www.solr-start.com/