Hi brent3600,

You can use NLP4L for this purpose. NLP4L is good at counting the number of
words
not only in whole index but also in a set of documents. There is a tutorial
for this function.

Count the number of words
http://nlp4l.github.io/tutorial_ja.html#useNLP

Sorry but the tutorial is written in Japanese now. We'll provide English
tutorial soon.
Until then please use translation service to read it in English. :)

Koji