about <1>. This shouldn't be happening, so I wouldn't concentrate
there first. The most common reason is that you have a short Zookeeper
timeout and the replicas go into a stop-the-world garbage collection
that exceeds the timeout. So the first thing to do is to see if that's
happening. Here are a couple of good places to start:

http://lucidworks.com/blog/garbage-collection-bootcamp-1-0/
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ShawnHeisey#GC_Tuning_for_Solr

<2> Partial answer is that ZK does a keep-alive type thing and if the
solr nodes it knows about don't reply, it marks the nodes as down.

Best,
Erick