What you've done _looks_ correct at a glance. Take a look at the Solr
logs. Don't bother trying to index things unless and until your nodes
are "active", it won't happen.

My first guess is that you have some error in your schema or
solrconfig.xml files, syntax errors, typos, class names that are
mis-typed, jars that are missing, whatever.

If that's true, the Solr log (or the screen if you're just running
from the command line) will show big ugly stack traces.

If nothing shows up in the logs then I'm puzzled, but what you
describe is consistent with what I've seen in terms of having bad
configs and trying to create a collection.

Best,
Erick