OK, assuming you're not doing any commits at all until the very end,
then the tlog contains all the docs for the _entire_ run. The article
really doesn't care whether the commits come from the solrconfig.xml
or SolrJ client or curl. The tlog simply is not truncated until a hard
commit happens, no matter where it comes from.

So here's what I'd do:
1> set autoCommit in your solrconfig.xml with openSearcher=false for
every minute. Then the problem will probably go away.
or
2> periodically issue a hard commit (openSearcher=false) from the client.

Of the two, I _strongly_ recommend <1> as it's more graceful when
there are multiple clents.

Best,
Erick