Yes, but deleting fields from the schema only means that _future_
documents will throw an "undefined field" error. All the documents
currently in the index will retain that field.

Why you're hitting an OOM is a mystery though. But delete field isn't
removing the contents if indexed documents. Showing us the full stack
when you hit an OOM would be helpful.

Best,
Erick