bq: but aren't the config files supposed to be in Zookeeper

Yes, but you haven't done anything to tell Solr that the nodes you've
created are part of SolrCloud!

You're confusing, I think, core discovery with creating collections.
Basically you were pretty much OK up until step 5 (although I'm not at
all sure that SOLR_HOST is doing you any good, and certainly setting
numShards in SOLR_OPTS isn't a good idea, what happens if you want to
create a collection with 5 shards?)

You don't need to create any directories on your Solr nodes, that'll
be done for you automatically by the collection creation command from
the Collections API. So I'd down the nodes and nuke the directories
you created by hand and bring the nodes back up. It's probably not
necessary to take the nodes down, but I tend to be paranoid about
that.

Then just create the collection via the Collections API CREATE
command, see:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Collections+API#CollectionsAPI-api1

You can use curl or a browser to issue something like this to any
active Solr node, Solr will do the rest:
http://some_solr_node:port/solr/admin/collections?action=CREATE&name=mycollection&numShards=2&collection.configName=my_collection_cloud_conf&etc......

I believe it's _possible_ to carefully construct the core.properties
files on all the Solr instances, but unless you know _exactly_ what's
going on under the covers it'll lead to endless tail-chasing. You can
control which nodes the collection ends up on with the createNodeSet
parameter etc....

Best,
Erick