bq: Yup this information will need to be collected each time the user search
for a query, as we want to show the number of records that matches the
search query in each of the collections.

You're looking at something akin to "federated search". About all you can
do is send out parallel queries to each collection.

This is an "interesting" requirement, and I really question whether it's a wise
thing to insist on. I'd really think about going back to the design.
For instance,
could you consolidate all these collections into a single one, with perhaps
a collection_id? Then the problem is relatively simple, use field collapsing
(aka "grouping").

Best,
Erick