IBM's J9 JVM unfortunately still has a number of nasty bugs affecting
Lucene; most likely you are hitting one of these.  We used to test J9
in our continuous Jenkins jobs, but there were just too many
J9-specific failures and we couldn't get IBM's attention to resolve
them, so we stopped.  For now you should switch to Oracle JDK, or
OpenJDK.

But there's some good news!  Recently, a member from the IBM JDK team
replied to this Elasticsearch thread:
https://discuss.elastic.co/t/need-help-with-ibm-jdk-issues-with-es-1-4-5/1748/3

And then Robert Muir ran Lucene's tests with the latest J9 and opened
several issues; see the 2nd bullet under Apache Lucene at
https://www.elastic.co/blog/this-week-in-elasticsearch-and-apache-lucene-2015-06-09
and at least one of the issues seems to be making progress
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6522).

So there is hope for the future, but for today it's too dangerous to
use J9 with Lucene/Solr/Elasticsearch.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com