We're running some tests on Solr and would like to have a deeper
understanding of its limitations.

Specifically, We have tens of millions of documents (say 50M) and are
comparing several "#collections X #docs_per_collection" configurations.
For example, we could have a single collection with 50M docs or 5000
collections with 10K docs each.
When trying to create the 5000 collections, we start getting frequent
errors after 1000-1500 collections have been created. Feels like some
limit has been reached.
These tests are done on a single node + an additional node for replica.

Can someone elaborate on what could limit Solr to a high number of
collections (if at all)?
i.e. if we wanted to have 5K or 10K (or 100K) collections, is there
anything in Solr that can prevent it? Where would it break?

Thanks,
Arnon