Actually I can see a problem in your question…
Lucene and Solr are not competitor technologies.
Solr is a Search Server that internally uses the Lucene library and offers
easy to use configuration and REST API.
Lucene is a library that implements tons of search algorithms and features.
You can see Solr as "best practice for Lucene" implemented server.
It offers out of the box a usable search server with tons of features easy
to use( take a look to the official site to have an idea) .

On the other hand Lucene is a library, so you can develop with it your
personal Search Server or Search application.
More than performance you should really understand if you want to rewrite a
lot of already implemented search features, or maybe re-use the ones
developer by Lucene gurus.

Furthermore of course, it depends of the feature you really need for your
application.

Cheers

--

Benedetti Alessandro