1> Not solr log. The transaction log. If it is present it'll be a
child directory of your data directory
called "tlog", a sibling to your index directory. And "big" here is
gigabytes. And yes, you can
just nuke it if you want. You get one automatically if you are using SolrCloud.

2> OK, it was a long shot

3> Hmmm, not sure what to say. The obvious test is to take the DIH
config out and see if
Solr starts right up, just to be sure it isn't something _else_. But
otherwise the the full Solr
log should contain a better clue what's going on.

bq: Does Solr require that the unique key for a collection must be " id ", or
can it be any name, such as "book_id"?

There's no a-priori name it has to be, just be sure it's defined that
as your uniqueKey in
schema.xml.

But this is one of the reasons that when things get complicated I
prefer SolrJ to DIH,
it allows much easier debugging. Here's a start:
http://searchhub.org/2012/02/14/indexing-with-solrj/

Best,
Erick